Monday, July 5, 2010

Dandelion Hunting.

Chilliwack, the city to the north of me, is having an "8 walks in 8 weeks event." There's LOTS of walking and hiking trails in the area, it's a bit of a show around to introduce new paths to people, let people socialize or just get the heck out of the house and enjoy the outside. If you pick up a "passport" you can enter to win some nifty prizes. (I'm hoping for the skating pass.)

When I went into the YMCA to pick up my passport, I saw a host of dandelions. "Ooo." I thought. My dandelions are non-existent this year. The spring has just been so miserably wet, they have been drowned out. I have buttercups (toxic to bunnies), I have clover, I have grass. No dandy candy to be found. So when I went in I asked the lady behind the desk if I could pick their dandelions. You can imagine her confusion.

"You want to pick the dandelions outside?"
"Yup! They're for my bunny."
"Your bunny?"
"Yes, bunnies love dandelions. The flowers and the leaves!"
"Uhm. I'll have to ask my manager.." and she didn't quite flee into the back.

I then got to overhear the conversation between the first lady and her manager.

"There's a lady who wants to pick our dandelions, is that okay?"
"Why does she want our dandelions?"
"For her rabbit."
"Rabbits eat dandelions?"
"Apparently!"
"She can have all the weeds she likes." was the decision and the first lady reappeared.

"My manager says you can have as many as you like." Nice of her to edit the answer a little.. :)

So, outside I went, put the papers I'd gotten about the walking program in my car and then went and started to pick dandelions. As I was finishing I noticed a little boy staring at me. I said hello and tried to look friendly and harmless.

"Do you have a bunny?" he blurted out.

I grinned, "I do! Do you?"

"YEAH!! And he LOVES dandelions!" he turned around and ran off yelling, "See Mom! I told you! She has a bunny too!"

I got home and gave Sage her bouquet of dandelions flowers and leaves and she decided I may not be the scum of the earth and decided to let me sit beside her as I read. She did, however, refuse to share her goodies with Miss Plushie Bunny. She probably thinks Miss Plushie Bunny is the one who ratted her out about her home redecoration project.

5 comments:

  1. Somehow when I tell people about having a bunny they feel the need to talk about rabbit stew or how their rabbit died, glad your experience was better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes kids are a lot savvier than grownups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for dandies!!! The part with the little boy is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the "rabbit talk" varies on who it is I talk to. Complete strangers generally fall into two categories of either "Oo, you have a litter boxed trained rabbit?? I didn't know they could do that!" or "I had a pet rabbit, it was boring and in a hutch."

    Casual acquaintances are the ones who tend to make the "jokes" .. I tend to just ignore them. I only really react if they're intentionally being buttheads and then I go bowling. (Set them up, knock them down.)

    My mother always threatens to stick Sage in the crockpot, but this is generally as she's holding her and hand feeding her bits of shredded carrot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids Know!!!!!!!!!! Yea Sage - Dandys!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete