Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Most mornings start the same around here. Once the rabbits have decided I've had enough sleep, I stumble into the kitchen and put the kettle on. While I'm waiting for the water to boil I pick up the whisk broom and go sweep out the bunny room. One would think that one would use a vacuum to clean up carpet, but having spent most of my natural life cleaning hay out of a jammed up vacuum cleaner I will tell you the broom is easier and faster. It's also a pretty good judge of bunny health by how grumpy they are when I try and get them out of the way. Sage has in the past grabbed the broom and yanked it out of my hands to whack me with it.

This morning Scout took a snip of corn from the broom on its way past. I took that as a sign of rejuvinating attitude. Sage just thumped and hid in the cage. Once the dry bunny poop that they leave to mark the area as their's (y'know, just in case I forget), rejected hay, shed fur and other debris is out in the hallway it's time to switch brooms to the spiffy Oscar like broom to drag the pile out into the kitchen and then a third broom and a tray to dump it in the garbage.

By this point the kettle has boiled and I dump hot water on a tea bag and grab the water jug for the fuzzy butts. Let me point out at this conjecture that I drink tap water, the rabbits drink filtered. How's that for spoilt? I then grab a few fist fulls of hay for them to dump all over the floor and not eat as well as refill their pellet bowls. Many bunny owners frown of free feeding pellets, but y'know, mine won't pig out on pellets unless they're not always available. They'll graze if there's always the option to.

That finished, I fish out the tea bag, sit down and do my daily troll through the blogs I read. By the time I've finished my tea I feel strengthened enough to medicate Scout. Prepping the oral syringe is a lot less painful that applying it. Head back into the bunny room and snag a wriggling rabbit and take her into the kitchen to shove medications down her throat. This generally involves her making a lot of gagging noises and acting like I'm killing her.. even as she licks the medication off the end of the syringe. I then give her snuggles and pats and carry her back to the bunny room.

This morning since she was wriggling so much I just let her jump onto the bed and left her there. It wasn't until I'd walked past the room several times that I realized she was still on the bed. She wasn't hopping down because she was feeling dizzy and couldn't judge the distance, so her jerk of her Mom finally came in and lowered her to the floor. She didn't even footflick in disdain, she just made a beeline for the litterbox.

Anyone tell you that bunnies are low maintenance, quiet little cage pets.. don't believe them for an instant! But they are cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment