Sunday, November 22, 2009

Bunless in Seattle.



So, I'm sitting at Sea-Tac airport awaiting the arrival of Fric and Frac. Okay, I guess I'm waiting for Linda, their flight attendant too, but mostly importantly.. ;)

Yes, it's true, the bunny brothers rated their very own flight attendant! Linda is a bunny rescuer and a friend of a friend, when she heard they needed to go to a new home, she volunteered to spend the Sunday of her Thanksgiving holiday sitting around an airport with the boys. She flies free if she flies stand-by, even if it's with another airline. (I'm not sure who she works for, but you can bet they'll be my first choice from here on out!) With the holiday peeps, all the flights she'd planned on taking got booked up. She finally got on a flight at 3:30pm with Virgin, but after she was seated and Fric & Frac were safely tucked under the seats in front, she was kicked off the flight! The Captain disallowed the bunnies to fly on his plane! Hmph. You can imagine who I WON'T be flying with any time soon!

Three hours later the troopers got on an Alaska Airlines flight and off they went, they're due to land here at 9:15pm. I'm glad American customs didn't ask me what time I'd be back since I had no idea then (I crossed at 2:30pm!) He was much more interested in pet bunnies and why I was flying them up from Southern California. He laughed when my first answer was "Because I'm a sap." Nice to know the customs agents have senses of humour even if they try to supress them.

So, I sit around the airport with a hard sided carrier to transfer the boys to. It has a little box with hay in it. I think I have met every single child who has come through SEA-TAC airport. One girl (Lauren) told me all about her pet bunny who was the bestest pet ever 'cause he came when she called *and* used a litterbox. She then asked her Mum (they were British of some sort) if they could get another pet rabbit. She said maybe.. and maybe they should get one from Tacoma since that Humane Society can't be trusted with bunnies. We then spent a while commiserating about poor Copper. (If you haven't heard the story - Check Komo's news here and here )

I then met some soldiers coming in from Iraq. Of course, since I have absolutely no attraction to physically fit men in uniform who are brave and all that, I didn't immediately fire off an email to bestest girlfriend Justin squeeing about their yumminess. One of them was reading over my shoulder and said I should go up to floor two, since that's where the single enlisted are, not like them who are married old men. I'm not quite sure how old they thought I was, but I guess *not* thirty four since they couldn't be even in their mid-thirties. I decided to go find a plug-in for the laptop instead of trolling for soldiers, but as the computer is almost recharged now, and I have forty-five minutes before they land.. (Bad Lorna! What would I do with a U.S. soldier anyway? .. Don't answer that, Justin!)

I also met a gentleman who'd had a stroke who asked where the bunny was. He says he has a guide rabbit at home for therapy and misses him. Said the airline wouldn't let him on with the bunny.. but he had to have surgery in Seattle. (Wonder where the bunny is and who he would have stayed with. Seems a bit rude to ask.) I did ask if it was Virgin, and he looked startled and said yes. I have fired off an email to Virgin to ask about their rabbit distrust!

..I gotta say, you ever want to spread the word of bunnies, you don't need to go downtown with pamphlets. Just sit at your nearest airport with a carrier. You'll meet the world. What's truly impressed me is EVERY kid I talked to knew it was a carrier for a bunny, while the adults were about 50-50 bunny vs. kitty. Kids are definitely smarter when it comes to the cute and furry. :)

Pictures of the boys when they arrive. Probably after I get home. And sleep. And pacify Sage. Hmm. If you don't see pics within a week, Sage has buried my body in the backyard.

1 comment:

  1. Great story, great pix .. now all the East of the US will be moving to Seattle.

    Good luck with the new ones ... did you see Audrey is in England now .. visited Germany too.

    ReplyDelete